- Hits: 9154
On behalf of The Board of Trustees of the SJOBA Foundation, I would like to extend warm greetings to you all, and would like to thank you for all the support you have extended.
We all know that the foundation is still young and needs committed nurturing to be able to attain the goals, by no means insurmountable, that we have set and all volunteered to try and achieve.
We outline here in brief the activities undertaken in the past,the ongoing programs, and our proposedplan of activities in the coming years.
The programs that the Foundation is promoting on an ongoing basis are:
• The Ranvijay Awards - These awards were constituted by OB Sandeep Goyal in memory of his classmate, Ranvijay. It is given to the ‘nicest boy’ from amongst the students of Class VIII and X each year, along with a scholarship.
• The Crucible: A Program initiated by OB Yasho Saboo to enhance the creative writing skills of the students, and to give them exposure and push towards achieving greater heights in academics
• Maths Olympiad: A program supported by Jamboree was conducted to enhance mathematical skills of our students at school.
In the past, the Foundation has staged the following events:
• Ruskin Bond, eminent Author, was invited to school for aninteraction with the students in 2011, the event was a resounding success and was widely appreciated by the students and the faculty.
• OB Sanam Singh,an accomplished Tennis player, was felicitated in School– in 2011. Sanam achieved the distinction of attaining an Asian Games Gold medal.
• Author event- Khushwant Singh author of the biography of 100 year old marathon runner Fauja Singh and VivekAtray, author of comic fiction novel- Move on Bunny interacted with the school students, addressing their inquisitive queries.
• Tumhari Amrita, a play was staged at the Tagore Theatre in July 2012, supported by OB Pranav Gupta. Prominent actors Farookh Sheikh and ShabanaAzmi performed. This play was a concerted effort to promote awareness about the foundation in the Tricity
While continuing certain program listed above, we propose to start the following events in accordance with our long-term goals of supporting the school and the students.
· Celebration of Founders Day in school, which would give us a chance to go back to school together every year.
· Quarterly newsletter to all members to keep them abreast of the activities of the Foundation
· Start projects around photography, painting, sculpting and Arts to enhance the creative skills and address the needs not met in academics and sports.
· Organise exhibitions in school with inputs from school students and Sjoba members, and assist in starting the conduct of programs like theatre, dance and singing.
· Create a social connect with Chandigarh, beyond old boys and parents of present students, to enlarge the awareness around the Foundation
· Invite prominent speakers to interact with the students of our school, to enhance skills across a variety of avenues
· Enhance the membership and hence the corpus so as to be able to support students even after the schooling years
We look forward to receiving your inputs on the listed activities and support for events/activities, which could lead us to delivering the foundation close to the goals that have been set.
While we realize and acknowledge that we will not be able to get the Noble Laureate and the Olympic Champion in a hurry, we sincerely believe that we are on the right path, and with persistence and commitment we could in few years claim to have contributed in a small way to a historic achievement by one of the students of our great school.
The Team commits to striving in creating awareness about the aims of the foundation and promoting events to execute the same. This is the first newsletter and the same will also develop in the coming months to a regular quarterly newsletter keeping all members abreast of the activities of the foundation.
Thanking you again for your support and confidence in the team and the Foundation.
The SJOBA Foundation